Sunday, July 8, 2007

"Look Both Ways"

I recently watched a video of "Look Both Ways", an Australian character study which looks at love and death from many angles. This played at the 2006 Madison Film Festival, but my schedule was sadly overbooked to see it then. After the long wait, it was definitely worth remembering. Not your typical quirky depressing film (my favorite genre), this one had scenes of imaginary thoughts of the two main characters - one done in animation (the artist's mind), and the other done in Internet browse style (for the photographer). Threaded throughout the film are trains, train accidents, and train corridors, which gives it a very cool style and acts as a way of joining several of the stories. It's not unlike "Crash", although a bit slower paced and less intense. I had some issues with how the stories were resolved (or not), but overall I was very pleasantly surprised - one of my favorites this year. A great soundtrack, and the title was very apropos, too!

No comments: