Saturday, June 16, 2007

Chaos & Order at Sundance

So, it was a hot afternoon, and I decided to take in a movie at Sundance. Gritting my teeth as I picked out a seat for the show (so much pressure to get the perfect spot), I found an open seat in Row F (the first row of the back section, with a railing to put your feet on during the show - a hint my ticketeer told me on my first trip), nestled in between two unknown movie goers. I was able to go to my theater (no waiting in the lobby for an undesignated amount of time this trip), and sat in my cushy chair. A fellow came & sat on one side of me (with a seat distance between), followed shortly by a group which sat on the other side, also leaving a space. The head usher came in & gave his speech about the high quality control of the movie, and the lights went out for the previews. Soon afterward a couple came in & it became apparent that their assigned seats were in my row, but other bodies were now sitting there (presumably because everyone had chosen their own spacing scheme). I was secretly delighted to see the system fail, but nonetheless followed the couple with my eyes to make sure they found good seats (I did feel a little responsible).

The movie was entertaining (I'll discuss that another time), but about 3 minutes into it I noticed a fiber (hair?) projected on the screen. Where was the usher that promised to ensure quality control by checking back periodically?!! I don't think I've ever seen anything quite as distracting in a theater setting, but felt better after reporting it to the usher after the show.

Perhaps I am too hard on them, but after a long discussion last night with Samara Kalk Derby of the Capital Times, who wrote a less-than-glowing review of the Sundance restaurant in Rhythm this week, I was primed for an honest look. Somehow the prices invite criticism.

I must say, I am still VERY impressed with the concession stand, as long as you go during off hours. The coffee (Peets) is terrific, and as I discovered today, they even offer one free refill of a very reasonably priced cup. I have now tried several of their baked goods, and all were excellent, too. The lobby is comfortable (especially if you have really long legs - you can't sit on the couches otherwise), the WIFI is fast, and the staff very friendly. Worth the extra service charge? Still not decided on that, but I keep coming back.

No comments: