Sunday, June 10, 2007

Knocked Up

Let me preface this by saying that I find very few Hollywood comedies funny. In fact, I can probably name them on one hand - "Airplane", "Animal House", "The Pink Panther","Roxanne", "There's Something About Mary", etc. (okay, so I might need a few more fingers). Of course, some others offer an occasional smirk or guffaw, but generally are too stupid, or obnoxious, or rely on slapstick or gross-out humor for laughs. So, despite the terrific reviews for "Knocked Up", I did not have high expectations.

I can't say I'd put this on my list of all-time favorites, but it was definitely much better than I'd imagined. I stayed awake for all but a second or two (my ultimate gauge of a good flick), I laughed a lot, I cried a little, and was generally amused. Parts of it were annoying, made no sense (he didn't remember sleeping with her, but remembered NOT putting on the condom), or were generally unlikely (pretty much the whole movie), but the dialogue was witty and the characters interesting. I didn't really care much about the plot or how it ended, but I was fascinated by the ride. Katherine Heigl ("Grey's Anatomy") and Seth Rogan ("The 40 Year Old Virgin") did an outstanding job, but I was intrigued by the acting of the supporting cast and bit players even more. The sister (Leslie Mann) and brother-in-law (Paul Rudd), as well as roommates, co-workers (Kristin Wiig, especially), doctors, etc. were hilarious. I'm still wondering about the baby pictures at the end, though - wish they had captions for those.

Overall, on the ZZZ scale (0 being total snoozer and 10 being wide awake), I'd give it an 8.

No comments: